Even as the outdoor beginning of the season quickly approaches for many players, there’s still time to both buy and break-in a new glove for the 2021 season.
And while there’s a ton of options for second basemen, some are clearly better than others. We tested a bunch of second base gloves and found the top five for the 2021 season.
- Wilson A2000 1786: The best 11.5″ Infield glove on the market, comes with an I-web and a perfect shallow pocket. Pick it up here.
- Rawlings Heart of the Hide PRO204: Another 11.5″ glove that comes with an I-web and shallow pocket, though the pattern is a bit worse than the above 1786. The best choice for Rawlings lifers. Buy it here.
- Wilson A2000 DP15: The 11.5″ model with a tighter wrist design. Perfect for smaller second basemen that still want a top-tier glove. Check it out here.
- Rawlings Heart of the Hide PRO314: The Rawlings version of the DP15, an 11.5″ mitt with a tighter wrist fit. Great pattern that plays a bit flatter than the DP15. Pick it up here.
- Custom 44 Pro Gloves: An $185 custom glove that is worth every penny. The most affordable custom mitt that comes with high quality materials and a nice design. We recommend an 11.5″ mitt with an I-web. Start designing here.
Best Glove Sizes for Second Basemen
- 11.5″: The perfect balance between enough length at the fingers and a shallow enough pocket for quick transfers.
- 11.25″: Creates the shallowest pocket you can get for second base, but at the expense of a glove that will always feel tiny on your hand.
- 11.75″: Feels a bit big for the position, but could be useful for bigger second basemen that needs a longer glove to field at their highest potential.
Best Glove Webs for Second Basemen
- I-web: The perfect web design for second basemen that creates the shallow-yet-sturdy pocket needed for fielding grounders and making quick transfers.
- H-web: A bit deeper web design that is a bit sturdier than the I-web. Not highly recommended for second base, but can be useful for dual second basemen/third basemen.
- One-Piece Web: A unique web style used on the tiny 11″ Wilson X2, the one-piece web creates a super sturdy and super shallow pocket for its user. However, you can only get it on tiny gloves or expensive custom gloves.
These lists are silly without mentioning Akadema and Nokona.