Even as the outdoor beginning of the season quickly approaches for many players, there’s still time to both buy and break-in a new glove for the 2021 season.
And while there’s a ton of options for second basemen, some are clearly better than others. We tested a bunch of second base gloves and found the top five for the 2021 season.
- Wilson A2000 1786: The best 11.5″ Infield glove on the market, comes with an I-web and a perfect shallow pocket. Pick it up here.
- Rawlings Heart of the Hide PRO204: Another 11.5″ glove that comes with an I-web and shallow pocket, though the pattern is a bit worse than the above 1786. The best choice for Rawlings lifers. Buy it here.
- Wilson A2000 DP15: The 11.5″ model with a tighter wrist design. Perfect for smaller second basemen that still want a top-tier glove. Check it out here.
- Rawlings Heart of the Hide PRO314: The Rawlings version of the DP15, an 11.5″ mitt with a tighter wrist fit. Great pattern that plays a bit flatter than the DP15. Pick it up here.
- Custom 44 Pro Gloves: An $185 custom glove that is worth every penny. The most affordable custom mitt that comes with high quality materials and a nice design. We recommend an 11.5″ mitt with an I-web. Start designing here.
Best Glove Sizes for Second Basemen
- 11.5″: The perfect balance between enough length at the fingers and a shallow enough pocket for quick transfers.
- 11.25″: Creates the shallowest pocket you can get for second base, but at the expense of a glove that will always feel tiny on your hand.
- 11.75″: Feels a bit big for the position, but could be useful for bigger second basemen that needs a longer glove to field at their highest potential.
Best Glove Webs for Second Basemen
- I-web: The perfect web design for second basemen that creates the shallow-yet-sturdy pocket needed for fielding grounders and making quick transfers.
- H-web: A bit deeper web design that is a bit sturdier than the I-web. Not highly recommended for second base, but can be useful for dual second basemen/third basemen.
- One-Piece Web: A unique web style used on the tiny 11″ Wilson X2, the one-piece web creates a super sturdy and super shallow pocket for its user. However, you can only get it on tiny gloves or expensive custom gloves.