- The 2016/2017 rebirth of the TT2 model just sold out, but a new one has just made its way into town: the Rawlings Heart of the Hide PROTT2-20BG.
- Although the models belong to the same line (Heart of the Hide) and share the same pattern (TT2), their colorways are radically different, with the new TT2 a much flashier mitt.
- Here is what you must about the Rawlings Heart of the Hide PROTT2-20BG:
The TT2 is a Shallower Pattern
- The Rawlings Heart of the Hide PROTT2-20BG is an 11.5 inch glove with a single post web and a shallower, wider, and flatter pocket.
- Despite its original shallow pocket depth, you can easily form the pocket into something that swallows an entire baseball.
- The mechanics of the TT2 include a thumb-to-middle, one-hinged finger close and a squeeze along the stiff heel design.
- This pattern is perfect for the middle infield, especially if you need something that will aid in making quick transfers.
Our Take on the TT2 Pattern
Although the 204 Pattern is still my favorite Rawlings' middle infield pattern, the TT2 Pattern is an excellent alternative for those who want a shallower feel.
Black + Gold = Fire
- The colorway of the Rawlings Heart of the Hide PROTT2-20BG combines a black base with metallic gold accents.
- This metallic gold has a natural shine, but does sometimes chip and unveil its grayish underbody.
- The black, white, and gold patches are "color-synced," meaning customized to perfectly match the rest of the glove.
- Compared to the other gloves in Rawlings' lineup, the Rawlings Heart of the Hide PROTT2-20BG is among the flashiest.
Our Take on the PROTT2-20BG's Colorway
Although this black and gold look is stunning in the above pictures, it is hard to ignore the metallic gold's tendency to chip easily.
An Overview of the Mitt's Materials
- As a Heart of the Hide model, the Rawlings Heart of the Hide PROTT2-2BG packs a slew of high quality, durable materials.
- This mitt's leather, a "Select" Steerhide, performs and ages wonderfully over time, and is even fairly easy to break-in.
- In addition, the PROTT2-20BG's lacing and padding are top-notch and extremely durable, and the liner is soft and comfortable.
- These materials pack a good value and will last a solid amount of heavy-use seasons if properly taken care of.
Our Take on the HOH's Materials
After using (and gaming) a different Heart of the Hide daily for almost a year so far, I can attest to the series' great quality and tremendous durability.
- The Rawlings Heart of the Hide PROTT2-20BG is an 11.5" model with a shallow pocket, shiny black and gold colorway, and a combination of good materials.
- This model is not for every middle infielder, but for those willing to work with a flatter pattern, shallow pocket, and touchy colorway. It is a good value, however, at its $249.99 price tag.
- Shop here: